South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

May 25, 2019, 05:29:36 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Visit to Hartbeeshoek Radio Astronomy Observatory

(Read 5257 times)
Mandarb

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« on: April 19, 2011, 14:11:54 PM »

Hi

Thought I would start a thread here because I can never tell if someone replies on the other thread.

Latest developments:

HARTRAO will give us a private visit on the 25th of June. I now need numbers so that I can give it through to them so that I can make final arrangements.

There is a limit of 35 people, so if you can please send me a message either through Facebook, or on email at mandarbza@hotmail.com. At a stretch, post on the wall of the event.
Through necessity it will have to be first come, first serve.
I have a spreadsheet with everyone that has already confirmed and who said Maybe here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Amno5Gt0HmWudENqaFlxYU5sMnByY3FQazFrUTRWVHc&hl=en
I will keep it updated with those who have confirmed and numbers.

Please confirm with me as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you can't make the 25th, the 4th of June is still open with the public visit.
The costs per adult is R45, and children R35.

Last thing, HARTRAO asked if there were any special requests on what they can do, apart from what they describe here: http://www.hartrao.ac.za/sciware/schools.html. If there is please let me know.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 14:25:51 PM »

I'm still keen, and willing to pay upfront! 4 places please.
Mandarb

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 17:51:41 PM »

Just a reminder that the HARTRAO visit is almost upon us. The idea is to meet 15:30 for 16:00 at HARTRAO. You can find directions and GPS co-ordinates here: http://www.hartrao.ac.za/where/raodirect.html
If you want to make a day of it, and would like to add some natural history to your astronomy, Maropeng is quite close, 14km away, as well as the Sterkfontein Caves. More detail about Maropeng is here: http://www.maropeng.co.za/

The spreadsheet which indicates the attendance and paid status is available here: http://bit.ly/kiron5 . If I have missed your payment please let me know so that I can check, otherwise I can get your money on the day.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

See you on Saturday
Faerie

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »

THIS, was a really great outing. Thanks for arranging Mandarb, in spite of the biting cold, it was educational, fun and absolutely worth while driving into the bundus.

The sheer size of that dish impressed me no end, and the laser show was the highlight of the kid's and the S/O's evening.  Seeing Saturn close up came tops for me, even though at that point of the evening I was frozen beyond description.

Could you post us some of the pics Mandarb, or perhaps mail them to me?  It would be most appreciated.
benguela

An infinitesimal subset of the observable universe

benguela
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »

The visit was way cool. Nice one guys.

The history of HartRAO is interesting.
Mandarb

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

I published it to facefuck, will publish to a different location today.
Mandarb

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 13:11:03 PM »

Lots more here
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 13:19:05 PM »

Was awesomeness. Thank you Mandarb. That dish is cool and I think many were surprised to find the dishes you see from the road is NOT the observatory, but in fact smaller installations, and the real fun lay behind them hills.

I still think it's an extreme pity they couldn't find the Jewelbox, I'm sure people would've been wowed by that way more than Saturn. Looks like this:

IIRC it doesn't appear nearly as tiny (as saturn does) through a decent telescope.

I must say I was expecting more "cool stuff" to be happening in the control rooms with scientists walking about checking out cool things, maybe a demonstration of listening to a distant star and showing graphs, etc. Instead it was all automated by people on the other side of the world (also a cool fact!).  I got a distinct feeling the event was more planned for kids, and worked very well for that I must say. Having some physicists in the crowd sure seemed to bowl the guide for a maiden, but made for cool facts being thrown around.

And ofc that FRIKKIN "LAZOR"!
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 13:44:14 PM »

A nice visit. This was the first time I went to a meeting and I expected that we would sort of introduce ourselves. That never happened so I am still trying to put faces to names. I was the short bald guy. (bald by choice, I shave). Mandrab I met but who were the others?

Ernst
Faerie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 13:50:08 PM »

Great pics too!  Thanks again!
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 13:55:16 PM »

I was the dude with the brownish/blondish long hair and the slightly dodgy ripped jacket (My usual jacket got an oil stain on it, promise).

Majin was ofc with me wearing a knitted red cap + glasses.

Faerie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 14:28:54 PM »

I was the dude with the brownish/blondish long hair and the slightly dodgy ripped jacket (My usual jacket got an oil stain on it, promise).

Majin was ofc with me wearing a knitted red cap + glasses.

sheesh... we admired your hair.... you're one of those guys that can pull it off. Does anybody need to know which one I was?Huh?
Mandarb

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 14:38:51 PM »

I know who is who mostly, I've just no idea who Benguela is.

I was driving past Pelindaba on the way there, and I saw they had a visitor centre. I think that will be next.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 14:42:13 PM »

Does anybody need to know which one I was?
I do.
Faerie

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 15:10:14 PM »

Does anybody need to know which one I was?
I do.

Shorty who proclaimed that I am no lady....  Grin

Had a blueish coat on with a brown scarf. Was with my S/O and two sons and the little indian girl (who was, unbeknownst to her, the only religious person amongst us)  Evil
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: